When I was growing up, I painted (or rather, helped my mom paint) my bedroom a lovely, sunny ochre. My comforter cover was covered in stripes of different colors, and I painted the frame of my mirror bright blue. Sounds like a lot, I know, but somehow it all worked. In recent years, however, my tastes have become much more subdued and now I tend to gravitate much more to neutral colors -- but the one exception is gold (you can see my love for it here). When we were furnishing our apartment, we looked to Craigslist for many of the items as often you can find more unique items, and we didn't want to spend a ton of money. So when we found the below dresser from Ikea on Craigslist for $70, we decided to go for it, even though red is not really my color. I figured I would make it over somehow, and while pouring through the Design*Sponge archives one day, I came across this amazing copper-trimmed table. Right then and there, I decided to change my dresser from a mediocre red to dramatic black and gold. I like the look of chalkboard paint but I didn't want to actually write on the dresser, so I picked up some matte black paint from Benjamin Moore, along with some primer. I already had some Rustoleum gold spray paint from a previous project for the knobs, and I bought all of the gold leaf supplies (Leaf, Adhesive, and Sealant) from a local art store (it was around $30 total, as I needed two packets of gold leaf to cover the top of the dresser). See the step by step process and "after" pictures after the jump.
2. In an outdoor space, (or, in your living room when your boyfriend is out of town with the windows wide open if you are in a tiny New York apartment) paint drawers and body of dresser with primer. I found this to be important, particularly with Ikea furniture since it isn't always made of real wood. Let dry for about a day.
4. Paint drawers and body with 2-3 coats of matte black paint, letting dry for 12 hours or so in between coats (this took about 2 days for me).
5. Once paint is completely dry, follow steps to gold-leaf top of dresser here. I would definitely recommend using gloves and painter's tape -- I had kind of a hard time getting the leaf to lay evenly, but now I kind of like the marbled effect.